Thursday, July 3, 2014

Food for Thought : 4th July

The Fourth of July is typically a day we spend with family, friends and lots of food. Typical cookout meals can have more than 1,000 calories and 30 grams of fat, depending on the food. You can still celebrate without forgoing your healthy eating and nutrition goals. Here are some tips:
1 .  Don’t try to "save" your calories for the big event, which can lead to overeating and less likely healthy choices.

2 .  Use portion control. If you want to try everything on the menu, make sure you get an extra small portion.

3 .  Grilled vegetables help us feel full without a lot of calories. Eat fresh fruit for dessert.

3 .  Choose lean proteins.

4 .  Use whole-wheat buns for burgers, reduce the amount of mayonnaise you use in potato salad, and add herbs and spices to flavor foods instead of salt.
Words of Wisdom :
"If you don't understand how a woman could both love her sister dearly and want to wring her neck at the same time, then you were probably an only child."

If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders.

If you go to bed at night and think about your day and you haven't laughed very much, then you must jump out of bed and go do something fun.

I must be getting absent-minded. Whenever I complain that things aren't what they used to be, I always forget to include myself.

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

 
When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. (Your friends love you, anyway!)

10 comments:

  1. Greetings HB,
    Now that is a ginormous flippin burger. I want one. But it's already too late . I ate way too much on Canada day and I can feel it all sitting on my butt right now. Your words of wisdom were excellent as always and I enjoyed them. Have a good night and dream of stealing Joanna's and Nita's cakes...Hahaha.
    Luv and a big hug
    Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greeting my Lady,
      The hamburger is just what the doctor ordered , it was made to share , not to eat alone .Yes , your Canada Day was just wonderful , it would be nice if that attitude would last all year . Clyde (Gil friend) sent us lots of pictures , as I understand it , Clyde do not live far from your dear daughter .
      My lady , I steal food from Joanna , Mamie and Anita to give to Nita and the cake sale . Mamie is Lance wife and Anita is Chris wife (laughing my butt off) .
      My words of wisdom I hope everyone gets a little pick me up from them and think happy thoughts .
      A big hug and love right back at you .
      HB

      Delete
  2. Hi Poppa ,
    You are ready for the 4th , I see you got your special punch ready . Uncle Gil and uncle Chris brought a lot of goodies to the barn , I think they stocked the bar . Aunty said Gregg was here and was going to cook a pig again , He has the road show at Emil and brought 10 great chefs with him . Emil said Gregg told them he was taking them to a family hoe-down where they can stomp their feet and shake their booty's until they fall out . Or maybe pass out from your punch most likely ;-D .
    Your loving granddaughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Granddaughter ,
      I am ready and it is almost 2:AM July 4 and Gregg put the pig on the fire . We are sleeping in the barn until the ladies wake up . I put the apple in the pig mouth . What a great time we will have . Gregg love to bring his chefs from the road show just to show off . The one from New Orleans is a big one but they all are known world wide . Gregg said he brought some videos that can be used on the blogs , he said you liked them and was going to use them . They all is having a great time ad none wanted to go back to the hotel , good we got bathrooms at the barn and they can take showers . See you later my granddaughter .
      You loving grandpoppa

      Delete
  3. Poppa ,
    we are ready for 4 July , mama made lots different salads and other good stuff Man help mama , he lick the bowls mama told daddy to get off his musty butt and help , daddy ran away to uncle Chris daddy is so funny when he ask mama do she need help mama say yes and daddy run away . uncle Gregg is cooking a whole pig , Poppa daddy said you told him that when he was a boy about keeping kids feet on the ground put responsibility on their shoulders . Poppa Jenny said maybe grown ups should put stuff on their shoulders so that will not be so silly . Poppa we love you so much .
    Wrote by Sha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My darling Cubs ,
      I know you are ready and your dear mama made more than salads , we will have the best time with family and good friends . I hear your daddy did his disappearing act , he is getting good at it . Gregg ask your daddy who was the boss and he look at your dear mama and said it is obvious , baby is . (laughing my butt off) .
      I am so glad you Cubs like that wisdom saying , so true and my Jenny is so right . Silly kids grow up to be silly adults . I love all of you , but you know that.

      Wrote by Poppa (laughing my butt off)

      Delete
  4. Howdy Dad ,
    What a pleasant surprise . I was ever so happy and to know you care so very much . I have something special for you , how about some hot Bread / Butter / strawberry jam ... Nan just made her first batch . The rest of the strawberries will be deliver Saturday . Thanks Dad for just being you .
    Your loving daughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Daughter ,
      I am glad it pleases you , just doing a little to show you how much I care . Daughter , you know how I feel about you . I like it when you have special things for me and you know how to reach a man heart through his stomach (laughing my but off). I may take a jar of jam with me to DC .
      I will always be me when it comes to you my very sweet daughter .
      Dad

      Delete
  5. Dad,
    Another job well done , not only do you have bragging rights , you have all the ladies thinking you cam make hamburgers (smiling).
    Your humble son

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello my son ,
    Thank you so very much , I do so have bragging rights from a long time ago , my son I made you and I am still bragging about you and now I can brag about the 4 you have what a lucky man I am .
    Your not so humble dad

    ReplyDelete

Come on in , set awhile and have a cup of tea and cookies , as always you are welcome .