What you'll need
- Small Tootsie Roll Candies
- Waxed paper
- Sugar cookie dough (homemade or store bought)
- Kitchen knife
- Baking sheet
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Cooling rack
How to make it
- Slice the Tootsie Rolls into 1/8-inch thick circles to use for the skeleton cookie eyes. With clean hands, flatten and shape the circles so that they are slightly rectangular. Then set them aside on a piece of waxed paper.
- For each skull, cut a 2-inch circle head and a 3/4 inch square jaw from the cookie dough. Place the jaw up against the bottom of the circle head and gently push the two pieces together until they stick. Lightly press 4 or 5 chocolate sprinkle "skeleton teeth" atop the jaw portion of the cookie. Then use a spatula to transfer the cookie to a baking sheet.
- When the baking sheet is full, bake the cookies according to the recipe directions. (Note: If the dough has softened much, place the sheet in the refrigerator for a few minutes to stiffen it up again before baking so they'll hold their shapes.)
- Remove the baked cookies from the oven and let them cool on the tray for a couple of minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. While the cookies are still warm, top them with the Tootsie Roll eyes (the candy will stick to them as they cool).
Your kids will love them and they make great handout treats