Thursday, May 15, 2014

Food for Thought : Allergies

When you are affected with allergies, you may not feel well and may be less likely to get proper nutrition or adequate sleep. While there is not one food that will eliminate your allergy symptoms, there are some things you can do to help yourself overall:
Anthocynanins, the nutrient group that gives food their purplish or red color, have been shown to help the body with natural anti-inflammatory properties. Fill your diet with beets, berries, cherries and dark purple and red grapes.

Quercetin, an antioxidant found in citrus fruits, apples, onions, parsley and tea, has been shown in some lab studies to reduce the body’s release of histamine.

Try thin clear soups to help thin mucus and clear nasal passages. Make sure you are getting plenty of fluids.

As always, check with your doctor for any seasonal or food-related allergies. Make sure you also let your physician and pharmacist know if you are taking over-the-counter medication or supplements, as these can interfere with medications for allergies. Also, check to see if your medication come with food interaction warnings.

Words Of Wisdom:
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

 
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

That it takes years to build up trust, and only seconds to destroy it. That it's not what you have in your life but who you have in your life that counts.

That it isn't always good enough to be forgiven by others. Sometimes you must learn to forgive yourself. That no matter how bad a heart is broken; the world doesn't stop for your grief.

The truth is hard to swallow when you're choking on your pride...

"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other."

Some people think before they speak. Some people speak before they think. But the smart ones just smile and nod...

Just because someone hurt you yesterday
doesn't mean you should start living life today
in constant fear of being hurt tomorrow.

"I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge; That myth is more potent than history; That dreams are more powerful than facts; That hope always triumphs over experience; That laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death."

A proud grandpa G.

12 comments:

  1. Hi HB,
    Your post was very helpful and the information was completely correct. It happens to be right up my alley. I enjoyed your words of wisdom this week. They were very much words to live by; sort of golden rules. Thankyou for your excellent contributions to our blog.
    Luv and hugs, Your friend,
    Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear little Butterfly,
    I do so think you for your encouragement , it means a lot . I enjoy it even though the pay is lousy (laughing my butt off) the company is good and the food is great . I will contribute something as long I find something worthy off going on this red dang thing . Thank you my dear lady for being so kind. .
    Love and Hugs to you , Your Friend
    HB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poppa , we like your post and we told daddy to bring us some cherries , Man told daddy he was sick and daddy said son where are you sick and Man said his nose he needed cherries . daddy laugh at him and said will do son .sometime man forgets where he is sick . Daddy got us a big basket and said all right gang everybody nose can get well . my daddy is so funny . we ask mama to make us a cherry pie and she just put it in the stove , poppa she made 2 and said we can have hot cherry pie with ice cream after dinner . Sha and Jenny help mama and Man and me put the dishes in the dish washer . Sha call aunt Jean and told her to come over and eat some pie with us daddy told Sha she didn't have to ask uncle Harvey he will be here . We love you poppa and you be good .
    Wrote by Jonny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear sweet grands ,
      Thank you so very much I always love to hear you likes my cooking and posts , for that I am grateful . Man has learned from his mama how to twist your daddy around his finger as the 3 of you have also (laughing my butt off) . Those pies was so good . I love the way everyone help clean up , your mama is training you 4 kids so well .
      Man sick spots jump from place to place that is why he is the man . I will hae a new one next eek .
      Love you my grands , Poppa

      Delete
  4. G.
    This is a wonderful post as I told you it would be , I always told you to trust your gut . I know for a fact that your help is appreciated for any small entry you make . Thank you for the invite and as I said I would love a slice . Why you ask? You didn't steal it , you devil . I told Mae I was bringing a couple of peach pies and Susan . Looking forward to next week .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Joanna ,
      Thank you so much . I do so enjoy this , if I had the time I would try to help on all 4 sites , but the time is not there at the moment , maybe after DC as you know there have been changing made to the debates and they are for the best . I am looking forward to going to DC , our debaters parents are mor interesting hat the kids . They made a wise choice since schools are letting out and so many kids are graduating . A board member said they did the same thing last year .
      Joanna , your food is so good when we steal it (laughing my butt off).

      Delete
  5. Howdy Dad , thank you so very much , I know you always post on Thursday so I switched days with you , gave you your Thursday and I took Friday . I had no idea you was going to post , I see you still have some in your folder . Dad I think you with all my heart and I daresay you are getting good at this . Your son lied I did not beat him up Hahahaha! I do love the guy .
    Your Daughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Daughter ,
      I am so glad you did this . Do this mean Thursdays is mine ? If so , I will let you know when I am unable to post . As you know things change all time here . Things will be worked out and people will be in place by the 1st of August . Life will be back to normal and Jonny Trophy will take center stage on the mantel .
      Love you my precious daughter .
      Dad

      Delete
  6. Dad,
    Another good one , so helpful to many people . Most people just grab something from 'OTC' . I once did that until I met Baby (smiling) . Looking forward to see more . Like Baby , I see you have your stash ready to roll .
    Thanks dad for thinking about my Baby .
    Your humble son

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Son ,
      Thank you so very much , I just post what I think will be helpful to others and coming from you means a great deal to me , I do love you so .
      Son , how can I not help my daughter as much as I can , just look how she cares for Mae , you, my grands , and me , along with all the other things she do .
      You did well my son .
      Dad

      Delete
  7. Jean and Harvey ,May 16, 2014 at 3:48 PM

    G.
    Thanks so much , I did what your post suggested and check my medications with my pharmacy to see if there was any interactions with each other since I was taking all of them at the same time . Lo' and behold there was and I was not getting the benifits of them as I should , now I take them separate . Thanks so much G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean and Harvey,
      You are so very welcome and if it helps a few people for that I am happy . Now you can take better control of your medications and know they are doing their job .
      Thank you .
      G

      Delete

Come on in , set awhile and have a cup of tea and cookies , as always you are welcome .