Thursday, April 17, 2014

Food for Thought : Sweet Easter

Easter is almost here, which means if you haven’t already filled your Easter baskets with those sweet treats children and adults crave, you’d better get a move on.
It used to be such a simple thing. Go to the store, grab some jelly beans, Peeps, Robin Eggs and chocolate bunnies and you’re done. But now, with so many more choices and even more variations on the classics, it can be difficult deciding what goes into your baskets. So, in the quest to find the most popular Easter candy, I asked around to see what people preferred in their Easter baskets. Some favorites included red jelly beans, Cadbury Eggs, Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs, chocolate bunnies (hollow or solid) and who would have thought carrot cake M&Ms.
So here in no particular order are some of the all-time favorites. So go fill those baskets, or just skip the basket and go straight for the candy
*******************************************
Peeps. These chick or rabbit-shaped marshmallow delights covered in sugar at one time only came in a few choice colors yellow or pink. But since their introduction more than 60 years ago, there are now a lot more colors and flavors from which to choose.
*************************************************
Chocolate bunny. An Easter basket is not an Easter basket if it doesn’t have at least one of these. Although they come in different sizes, the bigger the better. But one thing’s for sure nobody can pass up the opportunity to bite off the ears of this Easter mainstay.
Cadbury Creme Eggs. Not to be confused with Cadbury Mini Eggs, this egg-shaped mound of chocolate is filled with a white and yellow gooey fondant that is supposed to resemble the inside of an actual egg.
Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs. If you’re a fan of peanut butter and chocolate, these egg-shaped peanut butter delights surrounded by chocolate are a must for Easter baskets.
Robin Eggs. These malt-filled chocolate eggs covered in a speckled pastel shell add plenty of crunch to your Easter basket offering offerings.*****************************


*****Jelly beans. These colorful bean-shaped sugary treats have filled many an Easter basket. Not only do they come in a variety of colors, depending on the brand you choose, the different flavors are seemingly endless.
***** Cadbury Mini Eggs. These miniature crunch-coated eggs could very well be placed in the same category with Robin Eggs; but let’s face it, they deserve their own spot.
*****Chocolate Marshmallow Eggs. If you have a hankering for marshmallows, these chocolate-covered treats should be included in your Easter basket. And you can’t miss them in the store. They’re the ones in the egg cartons.
*****Bunny Munny. Something fun for the little ones, this coin-shaped assortment of crispy milk chocolate is wrapped in colorful paper.

Words of Wisdom
"I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation."

"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly a list of beautiful quotations from minds profound - if I can only remember any of the damn things."

"There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything and people who know absolutely nothing."

"Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory."

"If nobody spoke unless they had something to say, the human race would very soon lose the use of speech."

A Proud Grandpa              G.

14 comments:

  1. Dad , you are a whiz and I am so thankful to have you to make me laugh . You know exactly the right time to post for different things . Dad , are you saaying my babies hid their chocolate bunnies from me because I bite the ears off ... Hahahaha !!!
    Love you Dad .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello daughter of mine ,
      You take care of me so well , I enjoy doing things for you , just to see a smile on your face or a twinkle in your eyes is just beautiful . Now if you would be so kind to tell my son to give me the truck keys I have places to go and things to do (laughing my butt off).

      Delete
  2. Poppa , we hide our chocolate bunnies , mama will bite their ears off we have finish putting candy in our eggs to hide , mama say we will have a lot of fun hunting and playing Easter games, we will make our bunny cakes tomorrow , ama and aunt Anita say we can make them outside in the grill kitchen if the weather is nice . we like cooking out there daddy comes out to watch us and he like to taste like you and uncle Harvey . Poppa our cakes will not be hard mama is getting us some cake mix . We know you will be there . we love you poppa so much .
    Wrote by Sha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Grands ,
      I think you are so wise to hid the chocolate bunnies . I also think you should bake pink and white bunnies , no chocolate because you know the ears will be gone . No sense in asking Man to watch your bunnies , your mama will give him a bite and the ears are gone , so hid them well my dear grandkids because your mama is on the prowl .
      A very proud poppa

      Delete
  3. G.
    Like your post and not surprise at any of you wisdom saying you old rascal . I hear Nee and Anita got you and Gil watching the girls while they bake their Easter cakes . I think it was nice that Gil and Chris enclose the kitchen part , now those musty butt girls can cook all they want . When are you leaving , I was told Gil is going to keep those guys waitng over the weekend . That boy got the devil in him , they messed with his family . Keep up the good work G. at least it keeps you from stealing food .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Lady Joanna ,
      Pleased you enjoyed my post and wisdom , I am so sweet , do you not think . Gil and Chris is watching the girls or better said the girls are watching them . I am leaving Tuesday night , I would not miss what my son has in store for those fools for all the tea in China . That boy knew what he was going to do before they got here , his main people is in place . and he will be going to Reno with me , I told everyone that boy was a chip off the old block . ( he will be flying back home Saturday) , he just wants to look things over with Jack and a couple of people in key places . Hey , Joanna what you cooked (laughing my butt off).

      Delete
  4. Hey G .
    How is it going guy ? Jean and I are having a fight about who cook dinner , what you having buddy ? I got a kick out of your Easter poat , I brought the kids some chocolate bunnies , your grands hid theirs' and Chris kids took theirs' home , I asked Jonny what was wrong with the bunnies , he said nothing , they had to hide them before Nee saw them , she would watch and see where they put them and bite their ears off . That lady is a laugh a minute .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my buddies ,
      Harvey I know Jean is having sandwiches , soup and salad , Nita told me she ordered take out and she got a coconut cream pie . We will have the café up and running in June after we come back from DC . You know everything they do is worked around my grands . Every bunny last year lost their ears . I hear you are coming over for Easter dinner . See you later .

      Delete
  5. Hi Mr. Minty , I just had to say you know how to pick your candy , Who is that big Easter basket for , I see you add to it everyday , I asked Jenny and she said she don't know and laughed . I always enjoy your food for thought , you have your own style . Keep up the good work .
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerry my boy ,
      I am so glad you like the candy I picked . Now the Easter basket , well I guess I can tell you but please do not say a word OK . The basket is for the lady I moved in last week , I hid her in the toilet so do not tell anyone , now are you satisfied (laughing my butt off)

      Delete
  6. Hello HB,
    You certainly hit the main-stays of the Easter Basket. I bought all those products for years. Although our dental bills were probably higher, as a result, we sure had happy kids on Easter. We still love Easter but give little gifts instead now. I miss the Easter egg hunts. I would cut off a finger just to be allowed one Cadbury Crème egg.
    Have a very safe and enjoyable trip and I hope you all have some pleasant hours together reminiscing. You are a loyal friend,
    Luv Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my little Butterfly ,
      I am happy to here you approve and I think most of parents know about them and adding so many different ones each year . I still enjoy the Easter egg hunts , I sit on a chair under the tree and point or follow Man and Bubba on my scooter . I think the Cadbury Crème eggs are safe here as long as they don't have ears .
      I will be leaving Tuesday night and back the first week in May . Larry will be here Monday and Mac , Harvey . Gil , Larry and I will fly out Tuesday , we will get a car after we reach Reno . I am a loyal friend , sometime things happen and throw you off for a while , but a true friend understands . How is the weather up there , I told my son we may drive back , we are flying up there with him and Jack I want to know what is going on .
      Thank you so much for saying hello My Lady and a very happy birthday to you .
      Luv HHH aka HB G.

      Delete
  7. Dad ,
    You are amazing , now you are doing something useful . I am proud to call you dad , even though I want to tan your hide sometime , but that's what makes you so interesting , is it not so ?
    Your loving and humble son

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello my son ,
    I am amazing , I made you did I not , you are my greatest achievement . My greatest joy in life is to hear you say "Dad I love you" . Yes my son , I am interesting and I do have a few more tricks up my sleeve , you will learn about them as you get older .

    Your mischievous Dad

    ReplyDelete

Come on in , set awhile and have a cup of tea and cookies , as always you are welcome .