Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Food for Thought : February is Wise Health Consumer Month

February is Wise Health Consumer month. Overall, Americans are great consumers of products and services; however, we are not great shoppers when it comes to our own health. According to the American Institute for Preventive Medicine, Americans spend more time researching car and new appliance purchases than they spend choosing doctors and health plans. Sometimes we don’t even realize we have options when it comes to our health care. Here are a few tips to help you become a wise health consumer when it comes to nutrition ;
1 .    Take your medications exactly as they are prescribed. Ask your pharmacist about any drug-nutrient interactions. This can help you determine if there are any foods or vitamin/mineral supplements you should avoid while taking certain medications.
2.    Talk to your doctor about your weight. Ask for your body mass index and if you are at risk for any weight-complicated diseases such as heart disease or obesity.
3 .    Everyone could benefit from a consult with a dietitian. Check your insurance plan for coverage and copays. Typically a few visits to the dietitian can help you get on the right path to avoid, or possibly reduce, expensive medications from diseases and illnesses caused by lifestyle choices.
Words Of Wisdom :
I have been described as a lighthouse in the middle of a bog: Brilliant but useless.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

I have tried to know absolutely nothing about a great many things, and I have succeeded fairly well.

If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile.

Making mistakes does not make  you unworthy of love -- it makes  you human .

"My choices in life  were  either  to be  a piano player in a  whore  house or a politician .  And to tell the truth , there's hardly any difference!"

A very Proud Grand-poppa

16 comments:

  1. Poppa , people should be very careful to take their medicine same time everyday . Mama bought aunt Mae a pill box with the days on it and mama told aunt Mae to take her pills at the same time each day and told Jerry if he let her forget she was going to spank both their musty butts .
    We like your post poppa and aunt Mae say that lady is not her , poppa you are so funny . we love you a lot .
    Poppa are you still working for food , mama is making gumbo and hot bread ?

    Wrote by Sha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear grands , you are so very important to me , as your poppa I have to help paved the way for you to live a healthy , it is said it takes 2 people to make a baby and a villege to raise the baby .
      Do not ask me what I mean about 2 people , go ask your daddy , he knows everything. (smiling my butt off)

      Delete
  2. Howdy Dad ,
    You are helping a lot of people if only they take heed . It's good to remind people to take their meds at prescribed times... how well I know because I have a time with you Hahaha!
    I see you are getting your own photos now . Thanks so much and I made you something special .
    Why not do a weekly series about 'Food for Thought' the pay will be better ... it will be grilling weather soon /
    Love you Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daughter , I see how you manage your health since you was a very young child and how you teach my grands and for that I am thankful (and you cook good). I may try since I get comments to let me know I am appreciated . Not to mention the food .
      Gumbo is good .

      Delete
  3. Hi Poppa , you are busy indeed , this is a much needed post , the ladies has asked about you , especially the one with the designer blog , I told them you was posting at my aunt and her partner's blog , they miss you and your wit and to drop in and say Hi .
    The cubs told me you was getting gumbo , hmm , hmm good .
    Keep up the good work Poppa , oldest granddaughter . ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello sweetheart , Not to busy for all my grands , sorry I am a day late but , I was under the weather a tad and you know your aunt , soup , medicine and to bed . Tell the ladies I will be back just helping out a little . yes the gunbo is delicious and the hot bread was the icing on the cake . Thank you so much , it makes me feel like I am doing a little good . ;-D back at you .

      Delete
  4. Hello G.
    This is a very thoughtful post , not only older people needs reminding to take their meds at the prescribed times , even younger people needs reminding , crucial to your health and well being .
    Well , I see why you try so hard to be on everyone's shit list ,don't worry G. everyone that comes in contact with you will remember you for the great guy you are . You are always up to your pranks . Waiting for your next post .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joanna , Thank you so very much and you are right , everyone needs to know to take their medicines at the same time and not skip any doses . Thank you for saying people will remember what a great guy I am . Joanna , do not try to butter me up , I will still steal your food , you can cook . I will have another one up soon , I found a cartoon in the paper that reminds me of my son when we moved here , you will agree , it is hilarious .

      Delete
  5. Dear G. like what you said and it's great to see you do a little work , Joanna sum it up for the way lots of people thinks . Please hire Harvey to help you , he will make a good goffer .
    Great going G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and I work all the time . Hiding in the toliet , did you not knw that . Yes Joanna summed it up quite nicely . Harvey said he has a job as long as the weather is cold . He stands in the window and moon the ladies when they are walking their dogs (laughing my butt off) It pays quite well so he says . Go not tell him I told you .

      Delete
  6. Mr . Minty , you are amazing , what's next , whatever it is , I know we will enjoy it and we enjoy you and your antics . Keep up the good work , and don't take no wooden nickels . Until next time .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Louise , who knows what is next , I play this by ear and so very glad everyone enjoyed joyed this post and I think you will enjoy the next one even better . It will be short and sweet . Louise , not to worry about me taking wooden nickles , that is the reason why I get paid in food .(laughing my butt off )

      Delete
  7. G. can Susan and I take out medicines with a little wine , now that is a grand idea , but don't tell you know who . Wonderful post brother .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear sister , please do not ask me , I have a boss remember , ask your boss and see what she says , make sure your toliet door is open before you ask her . Thank you so much for saying you liked my post dear sister .

      Delete
  8. Hello HB,
    What a very helpful post. It is sad but true that we don't take care of our bodies or check for drug or supplement interactions. There is a whole lot of ignorance out there. I agree with your shit list remark. it's impossible to get through life without being on someone's shit list. I guess the secret lies in learning not to care too much.
    Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello my little Butterfly , trying to help in small ways and hope they mount up to be big things .
    Now my little Butterfly , we continues to learn from birth until death , whats important is that we learn by doing .I do not think we will even learn not to care too much because we are human . Here you are feeling a little better .
    HHH aka HB G.

    ReplyDelete

Come on in , set awhile and have a cup of tea and cookies , as always you are welcome .