Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Food for Thought : February is National Snack Food Month

February is National Snack Food Month. While typically snacks are thought of as unhealthy treats, they can actually be quite good for you. Snacking between meals can help you control hunger and keep you from overeating at meal time. Sometimes a simple snack consisting of approximately 100 calories can satisfy you until your next meal. That doesn’t mean you have to spend a lot of money on prepackaged and processed snacks. Here are a few tips to help you enjoy 100-calorie snacks in a healthful and budget-friendly way:
1.  Fresh fruit is the perfect way to satisfy a sweet tooth. Try 1 cup of blueberries or mango, 2 cups of raspberries, 28 grapes or ½ of a medium cantaloupe for a refreshing snack.
2 .  Vegetables are great when you want something crunchy. Try a bell pepper with 2 tablespoons of hummus, sliced cucumbers or carrot sticks with low-fat dressing.
3 .  Looking for a savory snack? Try some dairy products. One cheese wedge or string cheese and a few crackers, ½ cup low-fat cottage cheese with some fruit or a low-fat yogurt all have about 100 calories.
4 . Really hungry? Try a hearty helping of tomato-based vegetable soup, a hard boiled egg with a piece of low-calorie toast, roll some lunch meat into a lettuce leaf, or try some mashed avocado and chopped tomatoes in a small pita.

Words of Wisdom and  Jokes  :
A religious awakening  is what takes place  when  the  preacher  gets through preaching .

It's been proven  that if you can't take a joke  , you will have to take  medicine.

A merry heart  does  good  like a medicine  , so when  you laugh , it does your heart good  . That's why Humor is  good  just for  the health of it .

I get up in the  morning  and dust off my wits . I pick  up the paper  and  read the obits. If my name is not there  , I know  I/m not  dead  , so I eat  a good breakfast  and go back to bed .

I feel like my body  has gotten totally out of shape  , so I got my  doctor's permission  to join a fitness club  and start exercising . I decided  to take an aerobic  class for seniors .
I bent , twisted , gyrated  , jumped  up and  down  and perspired  for almost an hour . And by the time  I got  my leotards on , the  class was  over .

A Very proud  grand poppa         G.
 
 

18 comments:

  1. Poppa
    We like your post and you have a good picture of fruits and vegetable , you give good adice to people so they will stay healthy .
    Poppa you are so funny , trying to get in leotards , mama said you could wear your short pants , daddy said you wanted to how the ladys your shape ,
    Aunt Mae said you could put your speedos on with the hole in the seat under your jeans and you would be the talk of the old people , Jenny fell over laughing ,
    We love you snack post poppa . and we love you so very much from all the cubs .

    wrote by Jonny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dear Grands ,
      It pleases me that you guys like my post and the advice to people on how to stay healthy. I think your daddy put my speedos in the trash . Do you think the ladies would like my shape , (laughing my butt off) I do .
      I do thank all of you for reading my snack post , I heard your daddy was taking your mama out for some fun Friday , so I will make breakfast .
      A very proud Poppa .

      Delete
  2. Dad ,
    Thank you so very much , you are full of surprises , love you dearly .
    Your only daughter .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Daughter ,
      I was glad to help knowing how much you have going on and I love you dearly for I am a happy man . Love you my daughter .

      Delete
  3. Hi Poppa , great post , I think every month is your snack month . I agree with the cubs , you should wear your speedos ;-D , I bake some shortbread cookies today , Lynn said she is saving some for you and Uncle Harvey .
    Thank you for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my Grand ,
      Every day is snack day , look at all the places I have to visit here and they all are great cooks . The cookies are very good and buttery , thank Lynn for us , she was sleep . Thank you so very much and it means so much to me .

      Delete
  4. Hello G.
    I wondered why I didn't see you at HR today , now I know , job well done G. I'm looking for a job , you need help . On second thought , I take the job offer back . Harvey say look out the window , he's mooning you . Bye for now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello ,
      I saw you at HR , you was sitting on your butt drinking coffee and eating donuts . Are you 62 or older , if so I have the perfect job for you .
      Jean , do not let Harvey fool you , he is mooning the lady walking down the street (laughing my butt off) . I got good news , Gil is hiring .

      Delete
  5. G.
    When you finish playing with your food wash it before putting it away . Please don't wear your speedos . G . a very nice post with helpful hints .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna ,
      My dear Joanna , that was your food I was playing with , so you wash it and I see you peeking every time I wear my speedos ( laughing my butt off) . I have another post in the making . Tahnk you so much .

      Delete
  6. G.
    you old devil , I see your horns sticking out , very nice indeed .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear sister ,
      My horns is well hidden unless they are needed . Thank you for liking my post .

      Delete
  7. Dad,
    You are a jack of all trades and I daresay and a master of one , I guess that's why we love you .
    You always amaze me .
    Your humble son

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my son ,
      I claim to know about a lot of things and to set the record straight , my one claim to fame was when I made you , that was and is my greatest claim to fame .
      I am amazing , am I not .
      Your dad but humble I am not .

      Delete
  8. Mr. Minty,
    What are you going to do next ? Whatever it is , we are here to give you hints . Nice going Mr. Minty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jerry and Gang ,
      Who knows what is next . Thanks for making yourselves available because I will need your input on the next post so be ready , OK .

      Delete
  9. Hi HB,
    Enjoyed your post...Carrot sticks? Seriously? What's wrong with chocolate fudge cake? Have you really changed so much? HA!
    And please,no leotards....It boggles the mind.....Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello my little Butterfly ,
    I was giving advice to others , my snacks are still chocolate fudge cake or any type of sweets for that matter . do not tell on me OK.
    It has to be the leotards or my famous speedos that my son bought me , take your pick (laughing my butt off).
    How are you been my little Butterfly ? I will be working this weekend for my son , he told my grands they was going away for the weekend and he wanted them to take care of me , I have a lot of things lined up to get into and it will be so much fun . I told the kids and they think it's great .
    Good hearing from you my little butterfly .
    HHH aka HB

    ReplyDelete

Come on in , set awhile and have a cup of tea and cookies , as always you are welcome .