Monday, November 18, 2013

Food for Thought : November is American Diabetes Month

November is American Diabetes Month . According to the American  Diabetes Association  the primary  objective  is to raise awareness about diabetes , its consequencess  ,mangement and prevention  of type 2 diabetes . Nearly 26 million children  and adults  have diabetes in the U.s. , while  another  79 million  are at risk  for developing  type 2 diabetes  .  Diabetes  is prevalent  in our area  and it is important  that you  understand  the risks  and complications  associated  with the disease . Here  are a few tips  to help you  talk to to your doctor  or dietitian  about diabetes;
1.  Know your risk for diabetes . Risk factors for type  2 diabetes  include older age  , obesity , a family history  , history of gastational  diabetes  , physical inactivity .
2 .   Know the truth from the myths . Diabetes is not  caused by eating  too much sugar  , people with diabetes  do not have to eat special  diabetic foods , people with diabetes can  have sweets  and chocolate  and you can't  get diabetes  from someone else .
3 .  There is  a lot of information  regarding  diet , exercise  and diabetes  management  online  and in magazines  . However  this advice  is not always  research based  or true . Consult  with your doctor  or dietitian  to get the best  information  to manage  your diabetes  or risk  of developing  type 2 diabetes.
Words of Wisdom :
Life is like an ice cream cone . You get it licked on one side  , and it runs down the other .

The best way to get hitched  is to have good horse sense  , stable thinking  and a bridle on your tongue .

Sow a thought , reap an act ; sow an act , reap a habit ; sow a habit , reap a character ; sow a character , reap a destiny .

The two most important days  of our lives  are the day we are born  and the day we find out why .
A  very proud grandpa          G.

6 comments:

  1. Dad ,
    Your post is spot on , tgere is a lot of inforfmation out there , some truths , some myths , all diabetes are not alike , you work with your doctor/dietition and find the best niche for you .

    Great post Dad , I am so proud of you and love you a bunch .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello G.
    Your post has a lot of useful information and everyone should be tested , diabetes can sneak up on you like cancer , BP, strokes or any dreadful disease .
    Your words of wisdom is very entertaining , but you still love to be a naughty guy , oh well I guess that's why everyone loves you .

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter ,
    I thank you kindly and any help I can give you , I will be happy to do so . Seeing how you control your diabetes is wonderful and as you say , the disease do not control you , you control the disease , I see you controls my son too (laughing my butt off).
    My dear lady Joanna ,
    I can be entertaining and a naughty boy at the same time , that is what makes me who I am .
    I am working on my Take 10 post , you got anything for me like food .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi HB,
    I didn't realize the statistics were so high for Diabetes.I think there is a lot of misunderstanding among the public about it. I know I learned something. Nee is right, working with a doctor and dietician should keep people on the right path.
    Your words of wisdom were exactly that this week...very wise.

    luv and hugs
    Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello my little Butterfly ,
    Thank you for your very kind and dear words . I do so enjoy making people think about their health and maybe just maybe some of them can help spread the word about Global Warming .
    My dear Lady , so many people think if they ignore something it will go away , not true , it will only get worse .
    You say wise , maybe , I see it as learning from all the many years I have lived , if it helps a few people , it will be worthwhile and again I think you , have another one soon .

    Hugs HHH aka HB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Poppa ,
    You got another winner , I know aunty is happy for the help , I am glad you decided to post Diabetes Month , make people aware . Love you and I baked you a sweet potato pie , I will bring it over in a minute .

    ReplyDelete

Come on in , set awhile and have a cup of tea and cookies , as always you are welcome .