Sunday, June 1, 2014

Vegetable-Chicken and Cheddar Casserole

Ingredients

4 cups (1 L) cauliflower, coarsely chopped
2 1/2 cups (625 mL) potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, divided
3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh chives, chopped
1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
1 1/2 lb (675 g) chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
2 carrots, peeled and cut into coins
2 cups (500 mL) acorn or butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) wax beans, cut into 1˝ (2.5 cm) pieces
1 cup (250 mL) snow peas, trimmed and halved
2 cups (500 mL) béchamel sauce, homemade or store-bought  (recipe below) 
   You can substitute a can of cream of mushroom soup if you are in a hurry                
2 cups (500 mL) Canadian Aged Cheddar, grated and divided
            
Preparation
 ______________________________________________________

In a saucepan, cook cauliflower and potatoes in salted boiling water for 15 minutes or until tender.
Drain cauliflower and potatoes and mash together. Blend in 1 tbsp (30 ml) butter, chives and paprika and set aside.
Preheat oven to 375oF (190oC).
Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in a Dutch oven over high heat and brown chicken.
Add remaining vegetables and continue cooking another 5-7 minutes until veggies soften 
Add béchamel sauce and 1 cup (250 ml) Cheddar and stir until cheese melts. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Spread cauliflower and potato mixture on top, add remaining Cheddar and cook in the oven for 20 minutes. Serve hot.  A nice hearty lunch


Béchamel Sauce

Ingredients


5 tbsp (75 mL) butter
4 tbsp (60 mL) flour
4 cups (1 L) milk
Salt, white pepper (to taste)
Pinch of nutmeg

Preparation 


Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Whisk continuously until the mixture turns a nice golden color, approximately 6 minutes or so.
In the meantime, warm milk until it begins to boil. Remove from heat and pour milk into the butter mixture 1 cup (250 ml) at a time. Whisk continuously. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until it thickens. The sauce is ready when it coats the back of a spoon.
Remove from heat. Add salt, white pepper and a pinch of freshly ground nutmeg. Set aside until ready to serve.

4 comments:

  1. My Lady ,
    This looks very good indeed . I had a dish similar to this one . Delicious yes , I told my daughter I was asking Eloise to make this and she said of course , she put it on Wednesday menu , we will have the pork chops at a later date .
    LOVE HHH aka HB G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi HB,
      I have been looking through my files and on the internet for good recipes for Witchy. The trouble is I can't test all of them myself because I have food allergies so I just wing it if it sounds good.
      I hope Poppa's Country Kitchen does brilliantly. You have the right ladies in charge.
      Love Butterfly

      Delete
  2. Hi 'The Genie'
    The ingredients in this dish go together so well , I know your family enjoyed it . I bet Aunty tell Eloise to put a little heat in it .I know it will be one of the dishes in the lunchroom . Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you guys enjoy it. You are right Nee( Hahaha) This is too bland for Aunty; she is going to spice it up.
    Congratulations on your new career at Poppa's Country KItchen and the very best of luck. I know it
    is going to be a smashing success. I wish I could order some take-out...Do you deliver?...HA!

    ReplyDelete

Come on in , set awhile and have a cup of tea and cookies , as always you are welcome .