Saturday, March 17, 2012

Polar Bear Cubs Emerge From Winter Hibernation..( Hi Jenny,I decided to post the polar bears here for you instead ...Love aunt Jeannie)

Cub coming out from winter den

Polar bears emerge from winter hibernation




Polar bear cubs emerge from winter hibernation


Wildlife photographer Steve Bloom recently captured polar bears emerging from their warm dens for the first time since winter.


Polar bear mothers typically give birth to their cubs in early winter between December and January. Females dig snow dens where they nurse and protect their babies, enabling them to grow before leaving the den in early spring. As the cubs acclimate to the outside temperatures, the mother and her cubs make short trips around the den before departing to the sea ice to hunt for food.

In the photos captured by Bloom, the cubs remain close to their mother for protection and milk. The photographer has spent hundreds of hours in the arctic regions of Canada and Norway in order to capture these threatened mammals.

"Imagine a world without polar bears," said Bloom. "It seems unthinkable, yet as climate change gathers pace, the Arctic ice floes upon which the polar bear depends are beginning to break up. In the years ahead, this could be catastrophic for this truly charismatic bear which, when it stands up, is taller than the largest elephant."

4 comments:

  1. Aunt Jeannie ,
    Thank you so very much , it will help me to show the other polar bear cubs that the polar bears are like us in a lot of ways I think daddy is right because he say a lot of grown ups have blind eyes and deaf ears . Daddy says he is proud of us because we are taking a stand and we have a great auntie in Canada that is helping us .
    Mama said you put this one on for my hext meeting in April the baby cubs is so cut .
    Aunt Jeannie I am writing you on my laptop , daddy will help me get here until he see I can do it by myself . He said I talk a lot like mama , I told him we all talked a lot . mama talks daddy crazy . Aunt Jennie , we hope you are feeling better and we all love you very much . Jonny , Sha , Man is outside playing I am going out there now . just about finish with my speech . Love you aunt Jeannie tell Jakey hi for me and hope he is feeling better to .
    Love Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeannie ,
    I do think you started something , Jen is getting long-winded like Baby .
    I showed Jen how to get here , I will show her until she gets it down pat .
    Here wishing you your husband and mother a speedy recovery .
    Thank you

    Gil

    PS: Baby got the bug now so I am on call as you know .
    If I get a chance I'm going to put that damn diaper on her while she sleeps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jenny,
    Boy am I glad that you are well enough to play outside now.
    Daddy is right; a lot of grownups only see and hear what they want to. Hopefully we can open their eyes a little bit about global warming.
    I thought this post would be a good one for springtime. April would be a great time to do a speech on it. I am very proud of you too. We should all take a stand on things we really believe in.
    It's great that you have your own laptops. You can do so many things with them. Sammmy and Jakey use theirs every day for homework and looking things up and writing stories. They play a lot of games on them too.
    Mama and I both like to talk a lot. That's why we have blogs. I know she can talk Daddy crazy...Hahaha! It's a special talent we ladies have. He's tough, he can take it.
    The cubs are so sweet and cuddly. It's hard to believe they will grow to stand seven feet tall and be able to take take your head off with one bite.I don't think we should try to pet polar bears, do you??
    I am feeling much better now thankyou and hope to talk to you again soon. Have fun...Lots of love Aunt Jeannie.

    PS: I will tell Jake you asked about him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Gil,

    I am so pleased to have started a dialogue with Jenny and the other children. You can almost see her confidence growing.

    Longwinded is great with me; I suffer from it myself and I chat with a couple of other longwinded members of your family. Maybe it's a family trait...HA!
    I am sorry Nee is down with that virus. It sounds particularly nasty.
    Forget the diaper. Remember your success with getting her to wear that girdle?? The diaper will end up around your neck and she'll hang you from the chandelier with it...Good luck with that. Make her more magic toddies instead.

    Stay well,Jeannie

    ReplyDelete

Come on in , set awhile and have a cup of tea and cookies , as always you are welcome .