Saturday, March 10, 2012

Jaycee Dugard : Captive Turned Advocate,

Jaycee Dugard , who was kidnapped at 11 years-old and held captive for 18 years , was honored by Oprah Winfrey and others at the Diana von Furstenberg Awards in New York on Friday .

"My name is Jaycee Dugard , and I want to say that , because for a long time I wasn't able to say my name , and so it feels good ," she told the crowd at the ceremony , held at the United Nations .

"My hope is to be remembered for what I do , and not for what happened to me ," said Dugard , whose JAYC Foundation "provides support and services " to families recovering from "abduction and the aftermath of other traumatic experiences."

She cited the inspiration she drew from her mother , whose faith never wavered during Jaycee's captivity .

"I have to say I felt her hope for many years , and it gave me the strength to go on and live," reflected Dugard.

While Oprah was there to accept a "Lifetime Leadership" award for herself , the former talk show host used her platform to celebrate "Inspiration Award" recipient Dugard .

"I wanted to have the opportunity to meet [Dugard] and to tell her how much her story and her life meant to me ," said Oprah , adding , "Jaycee Dugard , I am so proud of you , your courage , your ability to press onward toward the future and toward a more victorious life for yourself , and using youe courage , your strength and your power to show the world you care."


Phillip and Nancy Garrido , Dugard's captors , were covicted of kidnapping and sexual assult in 2011 and sentenced to prison .

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy Jaycee is working for people who have had terrible trauma in their lives. They need support. We do so little to help them.
    Jaycee deserves an award.She kept going and kept a positive attitude and kept her hope alive. And she raised those babies with absolutely no assistance.

    Nice post PIC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you , Jaycee is a very strong young woman . More power to her .

    Thankyou PIC

    ReplyDelete

Come on in , set awhile and have a cup of tea and cookies , as always you are welcome .