Monday, November 7, 2016

Shrimp-and-Sausage Jambalaya

Many Cajun and Creole dishes are seasoned with the so-called holy trinity--bell pepper, onion, and celery. This Creole-style jambalaya has lots of tomato in it.
 Makes 6 to 8 servings

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound andouille or other spicy smoked sausage, sliced
1 large onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
3 celery ribs, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with juice
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 green onions, chopped

1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon; set aside.

2. Add onion and next 7 ingredients to hot drippings in Dutch oven; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in reserved sausage, tomatoes, broth, and rice. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 25 minutes or until rice is tender.

3. Stir in shrimp; cover and cook 5 minutes or until done. Sprinkle each serving with green onions.
Heart healthy

3 comments:

  1. First , let me say I enjoy reading and drooling over the recipes , family and friends tried most of them enjoyed them all .

    I found your blog earlier this year , I was looking for articles on diabetes . Learned a lot , your posts are easy to understand .
    My diabetes was out of control , about 6 weeks later , I was reaching my goal . My sister is on dialysis (kidneys) I notice in a couple of articles the same guide lines was also good for heart, stroke , kidney and high blood pressure people . The dietitian says the food is good for everyone , lots of herbs and spices help detox the body .
    She is right , I have more enegry . I notice your blog has 2 authors and a guest author which write posts on Food For Thought , lots of insight .
    I notice Maxy says diabete posts was weekly ,I miss and need them , please tell me you will continue them .
    Thanking you in advance for your kidness .
    Trudy Davis
    Laramie , Wyoming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy Trudy,
      Nice to meet you . very happy to know you have your diabetes under control , it's hard to get to a certain routine , hang in there and it will become second nature to you .

      I was most happy to hear from you ,There is a reason you should join a group to hash out things with . All people with diabetes don't have the same re-actions as others.Heart/ diabetes / BP run in my family , it don't act the same with everyone , some can control their ailments with diet / exercise and yes a diabetic diet is good for everyone .

      The series will continue weekly , had a lot going on , now things is back to normal ... now and then I will throw in some on heart / kidneys /BP which I hope help some one . You will learn that all people with diabetes don't react the same way and listen to your body . All illness do not react the same in everyone . Everyone finds their niche by trial and error, listen to your body .
      Food for Thought will be back soon , not exactly sure when , keep an eye open .

      Trudy , one very important thing to remember about your illness , 'You are in control , not the illness.' Let us hear from you .
      'The Genie' and Witchy and lets not forget Grand-poppa .

      Delete
    2. My dear Ms. Davis ,
      How nice of you to ask about me , I most certainly be back , glad you enjoyed the posts as much as I enjoyed writing them . Look for me after the holidays .
      Thanks
      Grand-poppa

      Delete

Come on in , set awhile and have a cup of tea and cookies , as always you are welcome .