Such a simple and inexpensive recipe. It can stand alone but it goes well with a topping of berries, bananas or peaches. Have a slice.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- heaping 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
Shortbread Crust Ingredients :
Sugar Pie Filling Ingredients :
- Mix all shortbread crust ingredients by hand in a small mixing bowl until they just begin to stick together.
- Grease two 5" iron skillets and press shortbread crust into the bottom of each skillet. I don't press it up the sides.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter on medium heat.
- Once butter is melted, add cornstarch, sugar, and half and half.
- Stir constantly until the mixture begins to boil and becomes thick and creamy. This should take about five minutes. You'll know it's ready as there will be a dramatic shift from a soupy liquid to something porridge-like.
- Remove from heat and mix in vanilla.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Distribute filling evenly over shortbread crusts in the two prepared skillets.
- Sprinkle nutmeg over the filling.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until tops are set. The filling will still be a little jiggly, but it won't move very much if you shake the skillet.
- Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Serve cold straight from the skillet or cut into slices.
Shortbread Crust Instructions :
Sugar Pie Filling Instructions:
Assembly and Baking Instructions :
You can easily vary this recipe by using a traditional pie pan, larger skillet, or square baking dish. You can also replace the nutmeg with cinnamon or a mix of the two. Lastly, you may choose to use a more traditional pie crust or leave the pie crust off entirely.