Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Hot Comfort Food...Irish Stew...


It is so flippin cold outside at the moment, that Canadians are digging out all the recipes for hot dishes that will burn your tongue but warm your heart and thaw out the rest of you. My  husband and two of my grandkids walked into the house today covered in snow and blue around the lips. They looked like they had been frosted. So I pulled out this old stand-by. It is a very basic recipe and can be tweaked and added to as much as you like. I always add peas in the last ten minutes. They taste good with lamb.
It's a traditional and much used Irish dish. No two recipes are ever the same. It usually tastes better next day. When re-heating you may have to add more water and low heat as it may stick.

Ingredients Switch to metric

  • 17.65 oz lamb (cubed)
  • 8 potatoes (cut into pieces)
  • 2 carrots (roughly chopped)
  • 2 parsnips (roughly chopped)
  • 1 large leek (roughly sliced)
  • 2 onions (chopped)
  • oil (for browning)
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • chicken broth
  • mixed herbs ( like rosemary and thyme) 
  • 1 pinch of salt ( I use two pinches) 
  • 1 pinch of pepper
  • water
  • a bit of fresh mint to tear into tiny pieces to garnish    

I always make biscuits to go with the stew because my family are dunkers and love to sop up the stew. A nice hot bowl of stew, warm slippers and a big hug and I will have these boys purring. They may even offer to do the dishes. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Howdy PIC ,
    This is a very delicious stew . Eloise made it today , we didn't have lamb , she used beef tips and boy was it good . Dad got a big bowl and carried it to Harvey , we had cornbread with it .
    The cubs said mama ... aunt Jeannie is very smart and she can cook too . Jenny said of course aunt Jeannie can cook ... with all the snow she has , what do you expect her to do ,go ice skating ?
    I will tell you my kids are never at a lost for words Hahahaha!!!
    I really enjoyed our chat and you sound like your old self ... I hope you understood me , my head was a little stuffy not to worry I am fine .
    I will keep you in the loop about IM ... Gil will get here tomorrow , he said it's going to be a long hard struggle to get things under control but he know everyone pulling together ... it can and will be done .
    Love PIC

    ReplyDelete

Come on in , set awhile and have a cup of tea and cookies , as always you are welcome .