Thursday, November 5, 2015

Food for Thought : Louisiana State Fair

 You  have  a few days  left  to  go and check out  the State Fair  of  Louisiana . Each year we  flock to the fair  for many reasons  , such as  the rides , the livestock , and  music , but the one thing  we most of us look forward is the food . Although  we don't  necessarily  think of the fair as a place  to get healthy foods , a trip  to the fair doesn't  have to wreck your  healthy eating  plans . Hear are  a few  tips  to help  you to navigate  the fairgrounds  in a healthy way .
1 .  Avoid  impulse  buys  by planning  what you are  going to eat . Take a walk  up and  down  the fairway  a few times  before making  a purchase  . Make  a point to look  at all the  the  menus  and see  what each  vendor  has  to offer . This will help you make a better  selections   and may save  you some  money .

2 .   Watch what you  drink . Liquid  calories  can add  up  quickly  if you are  not  paying  close attention  . Avoid alcohol , soda  and other beverages  that are  full of  sugar  are  also full of  calories . Opt for water  , choose  a small size  to share .

3 .  If  you  look for  healthier options , you are  likely  to find them . Grilled  meats  and  vegetables  are  common  place  on most  midways  these  days . Don't  go to the  fair  super  hungry  , as  you may  be  more  likely  to over eat .  Remember  that  sharing  can be  a good  thing .

Words of  Wisdom :

Vulnerability is the essence of romance. It's the art of being inculcated, the willingness to look foolish, the courage to say, 'This is me, and I'm interested in you enough to show you my flaws with the hope that you may embrace me for all that I am but, more important, all that I am not.'

The real lover is the man who can thrill you just by touching your head or smiling into your eyes - or just by staring into space.

Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.

I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being.

I'll never stop dreaming that one day we can be a real family, together, all of us laughing and talking, loving and understanding, not looking at the past but only to the future.

In my deepest, darkest moments, what really got me through was a prayer. Sometimes my prayer was 'Help me.' Sometimes a prayer was 'Thank you.' What I've discovered is that intimate connection and communication with my creator will always get me through because I know my support, my help, is just a prayer away.

Many times, the decisions we make affect and hurt your closest friends and family the most. I have a lot of regrets in that regard. But God has forgiven me, which I am very thankful for. It has enabled me to forgive myself and move forward one day at a time.






A Proud Grand-poppa     G.

8 comments:

  1. G .
    A good time was had by all , the kids enjoyed 5 or 6 days of fair .

    I think you . Harvey and Larry go for the turkey legs . Man , Bubba and R J had turkey legs as large as they are . We decided to join you , I bet I gained 5 pounds , can you see it .
    We are going back Friday (Mae , Susan and myself ) if you guys care to join us you are welcome , bring your money , we are busted if you get my drift .
    Great post G . you are back in full swing .
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Joanna ,
      I had fun , eating and looking at the ladies passing by . Always glad to have lovely ladies join me . If you gain 5 pounds my dear lady , it sure look good on you if you get my drift (laughing my butt off)
      We will be more than happy to join you if it is not raining and I think I can borrow some chump change from Man , he seems to be the only person here that has any money .
      Thank you so much dear lady , with the internet off for a month , it is hard to get back in the grove .
      G.

      Delete
  2. Hello G.
    Joanna has invited me to joined them , what fun we will have .
    I am looking forward to it .
    Are you guys going to pick us us ?
    See you there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Jean ,
      Welcome , come one come all . Bring your money , Harvey has some in his pocket in the front with the zipper , feel free to get as much as you want . (laughing my butt off ).You better get it before that lady I saw watching him with those puppy dog eyes .

      Delete
  3. G.
    You rascal , I told the ladies the three of you had Man, Bubba and R J with you to pick up chicks , you old rascal . Those boys are Jonny and Chris chick magnets .
    My big brother will always look and love the ladies .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear and only sister ,
      That is how they found out what we was doing .
      If it work for Jonny and Chris , we know it will work for us .
      Well , my dear sister , you know your big brother is not going to do what Bruce Jenner did . (laughing my butt off) .

      Delete
  4. Dad ,
    Baby says to think you she loves this post . You are getting better , you don't bother me as much .

    dad , you owe me $20.00 , I had to pay Ralph to sit still while I took his photo . Pay up old man or you are grounded .

    did I forget to set you are my hero and mentor . Thanks dad for all you have and still doing .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Son ,
    if you do not mind , where in hell am I going to get any money , I work for food , get bread and water , so I go around the compound with my sidekicks and we steal what we need .
    That lady next door get a fly swatter and chase us . One day I am going to let her catch me and shoot her with my gun . (laughing my butt off).
    Love you back and never forget I am so very proud of you . As your dear mother always said , you are a chip off the old block . A very proud father , I am .
    Dad

    ReplyDelete

Come on in , set awhile and have a cup of tea and cookies , as always you are welcome .