2 family-size tea bags
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 lemon, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, halved
1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
2 cups ice cubes
1 (3-1/2-lb.) cut-up whole chicken
2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons table salt
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1. Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a 3-qt. heavy saucepan; add tea bags. Remove from heat; cover and steep 10 minutes.
2. Discard tea bags. Stir in brown sugar and next 5 ingredients, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cool completely (about 45 minutes); stir in ice. (Mixture should be cold before adding to chicken.)
3. Cut chicken breasts in half crosswise. Place tea mixture and all chicken pieces in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag; seal. Place bag in a shallow baking dish, and chill 24 hours.
4. Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade. Drain chicken well.
5. Whisk together flour and next 4 ingredients in a medium bowl. Spoon 1 cup flour mixture into a brown paper bag or large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Place one piece of chicken in bag; seal and shake to coat. Remove chicken, and transfer to a wire rack. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken, adding more flour mixture to bag as needed. Let chicken stand 30 minutes to form a crust.
6. Pour oil to depth of 1 1/2 inches into a cast-iron Dutch oven; heat over medium heat to 325°. Fry chicken, in batches, 15 to 22 minutes or until browned and done, turning occasionally. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels.
TIP: If using a 12-inch-wide (2-1/4-inch-deep) cast-iron skillet, pour oil to depth of 1 inch.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
2 pounds watermelon, sliced
2 pounds honeydew melon, sliced
1 fresh peach, sliced
2 nectarines, sliced
2 red plums, cut into wedges
1 green tomato, sliced
1 pound assorted heirloom tomatoes, sliced or cubed
1 (12-ounce) package baby heirloom tomatoes, halved
8 fresh basil leaves, torn
Basil-Orange Vinaigrette ----recipe below----
Arrange first 9 ingredients on a serving platter. Serve with Basil-Orange Vinaigrette.
Yield: Makes 1-1/3 cups
Makes 1-1/3 cups
1/2 cup sweet orange marmalade (such as Smucker's)
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
6 fresh basil leaves, torn
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, sliced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup canola oil
Pulse orange marmalade, vinegar, basil, ginger, garlic, kosher salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor until blended. With blender running, pour canola oil through food chute in a slow, steady stream, processing until smooth.
Makes 11 rolls
1/2 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons orange zest
1 (11-oz.) can refrigerated French bread dough
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 . Preheat oven to 375°. Beat cream cheese, light brown sugar, and orange zest at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Unroll French bread dough onto a lightly floured surface. 2 . Spread cream cheese mixture over dough, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Sprinkle with granulated sugar. Gently roll up dough, starting at 1 long side. Cut into 11 (1 1/4-inch) slices. Place slices in a lightly greased 8-inch round cake pan. Brush top of dough with melted butter. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. Stir together powdered sugar and orange juice in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle over hot rolls. Serve immediately.