Serve mango and almond coffee cake for breakfast for a tropical start to your day, or with a cup of coffee in the afternoon for a sweet treat. You’ll love the tastes and textures of this dessert.
If you have a sweet tooth, or just enjoy delightful treats, this coffee cake might be up your alley. The mangoes are a nice change from the usual fruit, and the almonds give the cake a bit of crunch. It's lovely served for a special brunch or with coffee when you're gathered with friends.
- 1 large mango
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-1/4 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Use the nonstick cooking spray to lightly coat a round, 9 x 1-inch baking pan.
- Peel, seed and dice the mango and set it aside.
- Use a large bowl and combine the milk, oil, egg, sugar and almond extract. Mix well with an electric mixer for a minute or so.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Add the flour mixture to the milk mixture and beat until everything is combined, then fold in the mango and oats.
- Pour the mixture into the round pan and sprinkle the slivered almonds over the top.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for at least half an hour before serving.
- If you're making the glaze, add the milk to the powdered sugar in a small bowl and mix well until it becomes a thin glaze. Add more milk as needed. Allow the cake to cool completely before drizzling the glaze over the top of the cake.